Friday, February 24, 2012

Journey Through "They Live On"

It has now been about a year since my journey of losing my parents began. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, ran away from home in the middle of the night on Valentine's Day. My father, so carefully trying to take care of her and get her placed in appropriate care, slipped and fell during the ice storm that week. He passed away June 2nd, partially due to that injury. Losing both of my parents essentially at once was never quite the way I had expected that chapter of my life to go. And I had just lost my grandmother the previous September. Nevertheless, it is what happened. I can't go back and change it.

Soon after I returned home from taking care of things related to my parents, an acquaintance of mine who owns a local bookstore emailed to say that he had a book for me. He was in contact with the author Patricia A. Nugent. She had recently published a book called They Live On: Saying Goodbye to Mom and Dad. He knew my story, of course, having followed my status updates on Facebook, and thought it may be appropriate for me to read. He gave me the copy and asked for my opinions on it.




I remember getting into my friend's car as we left the store. I read the opening lines and I had to put it down. I wasn't yet ready to read it. A few weeks later, I tried again. I still couldn't do it.

For the past several months, the book has been sitting within my sight. It has begged to be read, but I just didn't have the time nor the emotional wherewithall to take on the challenge. Just prior to my February break from school, my bookstore buddy emailed to ask if I had had a chance to read it. It was just the kick in the pants that I needed to try to undertake it again.

I have decided that it isn't going to be enough to just read the book. It is going to require a cathartic sharing of feelings and memories at the same time. So, pull up a glass of wine and a box of tissues and join me on my way through They Live On. I will write as the desire occurs, but will schedule the entries to only post once per day.

Thanks for joining me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about the tragic loss of your parents all at the same time. I'm glad this book was suggested to you. I know it will take courage to get through it, but I'm sure it will be healing as well. Losing my father was devastating to me. I almost couldn't breathe, but with time and prayer, I was able to move forward, but I know its very hard to do at times. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete