Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Candida

Ah, candida. The bane of my eating existence. Throughout the process of dealing with another medical issue beginning with "c" (and I don't mean the "BIG C"), we discovered that I had an intolerance to yeast that often resulted in an overgrowth. An overgrowth of yeast can manifest as an external yeast infection, migraines, swollen legs, depression, fatigue, and more.

I actually discovered that my symptoms could be due to a candida overgrowth while I was reviewing a book called The Super Allergy Girl Cookbook. In it are listed many common, and not so common, food allergies and intolerances, complete with their symptoms.

So, I began to wean myself off of yeast. At first, I thought I would go cold turkey, but like quitting smoking, it isn't quite that easy. Do you how much stuff has yeast in it?

The obvious culprits are breads and beers. Two of my favorite things. I thought perhaps if I just cut back on them and upped my yogurt intake I would be okay. Not so much.

I started taking an herbal mixture called Yeast Fighters when things got bad, so that I could continue to occasionally have bread. Again, not a great idea.

I kept doing research on the proper diet for someone with candida issues. I honestly get depressed every time I do. Basically, there is very little that is left for me to eat. Technically, you have to eliminate anything that contains yeast, anything produced by yeast, and anything that feeds yeast, such as white flour and sugars. That actually leaves very little that you can eat.

So for over a year now, I have kept playing around. And now, after doing an intensive treatment for over a week, using both prescription and over-the-counter herbal remedies, I am finally doing much better. I have found that I need to maintain supplements, such as pau d'arco and acidophilus. I need to avoid as much yeast as I can. And if I am going to indulge, I had better be.prepared to deal with the.consequences!

I would love to hear from people who have had.to do the same in their.diets.



4 comments:

  1. Carbs are a big problem for me, and I've often wondered about gluten too. Time for me to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went through a candida cleanse my chiropractor recommended. Wasn't something I thought I really needed, but figured it was a good idea, since I've been brewing beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may want to check out my "C" post for today. You may be able to tolerate the chocolate I mentioned because it is sugarless and contains a prebiotic fiber.

    I’m blogging through the A to Z Challenge. You can read my blog “It’s a Sweet Trip” at http://www.onthegoodship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a women of many food allergies and intolerances myself, I feel your pain. But I promise, you will not go hungry, and there are lots of fabulous things out there that you can still eat. My main grains are rice and quinoa, and I eat ridiculous amounts of vegetables, but I feel good about how I eat and what I eat, and my body thanks me for it at the end of the day. Good luck! You will find your food path, too, and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel when you do.

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete