Friday, January 1, 2010

Obligatory New Year's Resolutions

I've been putting off doing this all day, but after @professorbeej tweeted about his New Year's Resolutions on his blog, I decided I should probably do the same now.

1. Build the book reviewing sites.  I love to read. I have been reading since I was two years old. My mother just found my evaluation prior to kindergarten, which showed that at the tender age of 5 years and 1 month, I was already reading at a grade 5.9 level. My nose has been almost permanently stuck in a book ever since.

I started my two book reviewing blogs over the summer, Andi's Kids Books and Andi's Book Reviews. I also joined BookPleasures.com as another source for gaining books. I was just made the Children's Books Examiner for Rochester. The holidays and parent-teacher conferences at school in the middle of them have set me back, but I'm working at catching up.

I also just joined a new one today called NetGalley. I only requested the children's books, as those I can review much faster. To be a good writer, one must be a good reader.

2. Query my children's books.  Yes, I actually have some children's books drafted. It's time to suck it up and start querying and submitting. It's just a little scary!

3.  Focus on Montessori.  I've slacked off a bit from my Montessori postings. I have needed to be away from the classroom for over a week, so that I can rediscover what it is about teaching that I like so much. I also recently became the Montessori Education Examiner for Rochester, so, I have some work to do!

4.  Find a good writing rhythm.  I write for a ton of websites. I like all of them, and I do tend to focus on the ones that I like the best. My goal is to find a good rhythm and balance between them all, to maximize exposure and earning opportunities.

These are my four biggies. I have more, but they are a little bit more personal.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment